Joe Prud’homme

Texas Wesleyan’s new head football coach, Joe Prud’homme, settles into a routine as he works to bring the Rams back to field this fall for the first time in 75 years.

6 a.m. I wake up to country music playing from my alarm and good-morning licks from Katie, our dog.

6:15 a.m. I start my day with the breakfast of champions – yogurt and blueberries. While I eat, I read the local news online and scroll through emails.

7 a.m. I arrive on campus. Before I head into our new football offices, I take a walk around campus – it’s about a mile around and a peaceful way to reflect on the day ahead. I make a mental to-do list.

7:50 a.m. I’m at my desk and start checking email and preparing for our coaching staff meeting.

8:30 a.m. I head over to the Marketing Office to take a final look at the invitations for our uniform reveal party. Having a consistent look and feel for our branded materials has been an important part of building a new program.

9 a.m. During the semester, I stop by the Academic Success Center to check on study hall for my players. Academic and long-term success is why we’re here.

10 a.m. Coaching staff meeting begins. The eight of us gather. Agenda includes a recruiting update, review of workout schedules, and discussion of players.

11 a.m. I get a call from Admissions. They have finished a campus tour with a high-priority recruit, and they are headed to my office. I walk him over to President Slabach’s office, who really enjoys engaging in conversation with recruits and parents.

Noon. Usually I bring my lunch, but today I’m having lunch with an area high school coach. I’m interested in hearing which players he thinks will make a good fit for our program. These relationships and insight are critical.

1:45 p.m. On my way back from lunch, I text a recruit. This is a great kid. I’m hoping he saw our signing day story on the news. I want that story to be about him next year.

2:30 – 4:30 p.m. We practice on the green lawn of the campus mall. There is such a remarkable history to this place. I spend my time supervising, watching.

4:30 p.m. After practice, I enter my mental notes from practice into Team Works, a management platform for college programs.

5 p.m. Coaches gather for an informal end-of-day wrap-up.

6:45 p.m. I’m heading home and call my dad. I call him every day on my way home.

7 p.m. I meet my wife Amanda for dinner. She has her own vet practice and leaves work late, too. We’ve been married 26 years.

8:30 p.m. My daughter Emily calls to say hi. She is in her second year at Oklahoma.

9 p.m. Amanda and I sit down to watch “NCIS New Orleans.” Our son walks in the door, says “hi,” and raids the refrigerator. He’s moving to New Zealand for an internship. We’ll miss him; our grocery bill won’t.

11 p.m. I’m in bed. I scroll through the local headlines before lights out. I see a story about a high school player I know. I send him a congratulatory text.