This photo may look like it was taken in the 1920s, but Brian Luenser snapped it in August of 2013 when a historic car just happened to drive by. This building, now called The Neil P, was built in 1921. Neil P. Anderson came to Fort Worth from Tennessee in 1878. One of the state’s most prominent cotton brokers, he died when a streetcar struck his automobile in 1912. But, his name lived on through his business, and Neil P. Anderson & Company built an 11-story office building at 411 W. 7th Street in 1921 for $500,000.
On November 30, 1919, the Star-Telegram printed Neil P. Anderson & Company’s plans for the lot along with an accurate prediction. “For some time real estate men have been predicting that the future growth of the downtown district would center around West Seventh Street.”
The top floor served as a cotton exchange showroom, so seven skylights were installed to provide the necessary daylight for the cotton-grading process. In 2004 the building was converted into condos, and the entire top floor serves as the penthouse unit, still with seven skylights.
The building was added to the National Register of Historic places in 1978.
| photo by Brian Luenser |