By: Malcolm Mayhew
Hot damn, yeehaw yaawwll!!!! It’s Rodeo time, so "git yer western wear outta tha chester drawers and put yer $hitkickers on cuz we’re gawna be ridin’ high on a gravy train with biscuit wheels."
I’ve got the exclusive UPDATED insider scoop on the BEST of the BEST for the 2015 Fort Worth Stock Show & Rodeo. From grub n’ supper to belly washers and boot scoot’n…so grab yer podner n’ dosi do, come down yonder for a show that’s sure to make you chirk!
Mutton Bustin’ – January 16, 17, 19, 20, & 21 @ 7:30 PM Rodeo
This is a crowd favorite, fun-filled competition where a few lucky children climb on the back of a sheep and hold on for 8 exciting seconds! You’ll see a bunch of Who’s Who kiddos out there hold'n on for dear life. It’s great fun for the whole family.
All Western Parade – Saturday, January 17 @ 11:00 AM
World’s largest, all-western, non-motorized parade in downtown Fort Worth. Reserve your “bleacher style” seating at (817) 877-2420. Fort Worth Stock Show Official Parade Route HERE!
Celebrity Goat Milking Contest – Saturday, January 17 @ 6:00 PM
Local TV anchors, reporters and personalities compete for bragging rights during this hilarious competition you don’t want to miss, followed by the Goat Creative Costume Contest.
Best of Mexico Celebration – Sunday, January 18 @ 7:30 PM
Hang out with your friends from across the border and experience centuries of Mexican tradition and artistry, from rodeo events to musical entertainment and dancing exhibitions.
Tarrant County School Day (Grades 6-12) – Monday, January 19
Cowboys of Color – Monday, January 19 @ 2:00 PM Rodeo
Highlights the rich diversity and culture of rodeo and the western way of life from our friends across the pond!
Bulls Night Out – Tuesday & Wednesday, January 20 & 21 @ 7:30 PM
Bull riding to the extreme all night long! On both nights, 40 of the toughest PRCA Bull Riders will take a shot at an 8 second ride on some of the rankest bulls around to earn nightly championships.
Senior Citizen Days – EVERY FRIDAY
Old farts, blue-hairs and slow walkers age 65 and over will be admitted to the Stock Show grounds all day each Friday for just $5.
Kids Gone Wild – Sunday, January 25 @ 11 AM – 6 PM Cattle Arena
This event, partnered with the Texas Wildlife Association will be brimming with educational exhibits, wildlife and outdoor activities for all your little cowpokes. Your kids won’t even know they’re learning while they’re engaged in all these exciting interactive activities, including fishing, shooting arrows and firing air guns.
Tarrant County School Day (Grades Pre K-5) – Friday, February 6
Stock Show Bowl – Friday, February 6 @ 6:30 PM Justin Arena
Varsity Equestrian Competition, TCU vs. SMU. My Alma Mater the ‘Stangs, taking on the Horned Toads. Fort Worth against Dallas. This should be good!
Finals Weekend & Champions' Saturday– Friday & Saturday, February 6 & 7 @ 2:00 PM & 7:30 PM
Not to be missed! It's the Who's Who of the FWSS. If you look carefully in the stands, you can spot celebrities from George Strait (his son rodeos), Val Kilmer, Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duvall, just to name a few during these last 2 days.
Syndicate Sale – Saturday, February 7 @ 9 AM
A.K.A - Fort Worth Stock Show Sale of Champions. Businesses from all over come to see and be seen as buyers of some pretty pricey meat. The top 200+ placing livestock will be sold. Everyone is there for a good time and to help raise money for scholarship funds for the kiddos who raise the steers. I hear the grand champ steer being sold that day will go for more than $200,000.00. (BTW, any guy wearing a bigass metal lapel pin could be a Syndicate member)
As for the BEST places to go "yonder to get your fixin’s and bug juice" during the Stock Show, you don’t want to miss any of the following:
Reata at the Backstage Club – MEMBERS ONLY
The. Place. To. Be…bar none!!! Overlooking the coliseum, the Backstage Club has an extensive history of dining and social gathering for more than 50 years, and has been frequented by politicians, movie stars and other celebrities. With a pared-down Reata menu and full bar, this is the best place to get a pre- or post-rodeo belly washer and side of calf fries. For more information on how to become a member, click HERE.
La Espuela Mexican Cantina - This Reata-run restaurant is open for just 3 weeks during the annual Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo. If you miss this delicious fare, then you will have to wait a whole nutha year.
Coors Rodeo Roadhouse – Live music venue . If you’re a boot-scooter, 2-stepper, break dancer or you just flat out Gangnam Style it, this is the best “Club in da House"! You’ll be "wore out, road hard & put up wet" by the time you leave this joint! Admission is free with your daily grounds ticket, souvenir pin, or that day’s rodeo ticket. Professor D, Luke Wade and many others will help you stay out till the cows come home. View the full entertainment line up HERE.
Whether you want to drink n’ dash or strap on a feed-bag, these are the BEST “Off Grounds” HOOTENANNY SPOTS (offering fantastic deal and discounts to SoFortWorthIt readers) to see and be seen before and after the dirt flies:
• AF+B – Steak features in honor of the Rodeo including dry-aged Niman Ranch beef.
• Bella Italia West – a cozy place for cocktails in the bar before heading to the coliseum.
• Clay Pigeon – Executive Chef Marcus Paslay is offering ½ off your 1st beer or wine with that days grounds admission or rodeo ticket.
• Del Frisco’s – always a classic and the place to see and be seen.
• Eddie V’s – Happy hour all day Sun & Mon with $2 off drinks and $6 wines with appetizer specials.
• Fred’s Texas Café – happy hour from 3:00-6:00 and ANYTIME it’s raining. Live music Tue, Thurs, Fri nights and Sat & Sun starting at noon.
• Magnolia Motor Lounge- Catch local, regional and national bands at this Texas music scene featuring American grub, craft beers, and nightly music 7 days a week.
• Max’s Wine Dive - Fried chicken and champagne before the Rodeo? Why the hell not?!
• Michaels Cuisine - check out their special Stock Show menu of contemporary ranch cuisine.
• The Original – free cup of queso per person with that days grounds admission or rodeo ticket. Happy hour from 2:00-7:00 every day with $2 bottle beers, $5 margaritas $2.50 copas and $5 well drinks.
• Railhead BBQ – BEST BBQ IN FORT WORTH, PERIOD!
• Rodeo Goat - Featured burger just for the Stock Show called the Damned 'Ol Rodeo
• Sip Wine Bar & The Cup Espresso Bar- this darling coffee & neighborhood bar is whipping up some special fare in honor of the Stock Show. Try the Sweet Heat Latte with Ghost Pepper to kick start your morning and swing back in for weekly featured Rodeo dinner bites. Bring your grounds admission or rodeo ticket from that day and receive 20% off your entire bill!
• Waters -see everyone in their cowboy gear walking by the wall of glass outside the bar while you enjoy ½ priced oysters during happy hour every day from 3:00-6:00. Jon Bonnell's bringing back his ever popular bone-in ribeye just for the rodeo..don't forget to pair that with a Firestone&Robertson Bourbon bread pudding too.
• The Wild Mushroom – In celebration of the Stock Show, Jerrett Joslin's award-winning steak and seafood house is offering 1/2 priced appetizers ALL DAY with when you show them your grounds admission or rodeo ticket, plus from 5-7 pm he is offering a pre-rodeo dinner with champagne to fill your belly and get you on your way in time to see the dirt fly, all for $80 a couple.
• Winslow’s Wine Café – the perfect spot for cocktails and nibbles before and after the show in the heart of 76107 , plus enjoy 30% off all bottles of wine on Sunday's and Tuesday's.
• Woodshed Smokehouse – It’s true what they say about Texas..everything’s bigger, including the huge selection of all things grilled, roasted and slow cooked over a variety of wood and fire sources at Tim Love’s very own open-aired entertainment venue.
And here's something SUPERDUPER SPECIAL brought to you by West 7th. This "Can't Miss" list will make you giddy with delight! All you have to do is show your badge or ticket from that days events at the Stock Show & Rodeo!
For a seriously authentic and nostalgic dining, dancing and drinking experience (especially during this time of the year), yonder over to the North Side. Here is a list of the hottest places in and around the Stockyards to see some real cowboy action. Some of these joints put “HICK” to a whole new meaning, so don’t act like a Skipjack or you might get castrated!
• Billy Bob’s Texas – The world’s largest honky tonk
• The Cantina Cadillac a.k.a. Cadillac Bar - Fort Worth Texas' premier rodeo hot spot. A real taste of the cowboy; rancher; rodeo life. Open Thursday through Sunday with drink specials every night!
• Cattlemen’s Steak House - One of the Stockyards oldest and beloved by all steak houses.
• H3 Ranch Booger Red’s Saloon - named in honor of the legendary Texas bronc-busting champion Samuel Thomas Privett (1858-1926) has the most complete selection of tequilas in Fort Worth.
• Joe T Garcia's – if your new to this neck of the woods, this is a MUST! Be prepared to wait in lines to eat at this world famous Mexican restaurant.
• Lonesome Dove Western Bistro - Tim Love’s innovative menu is influenced by all of the ingredients and cultures that have been a part of the West. An upscale Stockyard favorite.
• Love Shack - this live music and burger joint puts a signature Western spin on classics like Texas Angus burgers and hand-cut fries. Cool and unique venue.
• Panther Island Brewing Company – Located between the Stockyards and downtown, this unique and beautiful craft brewery is only open to the public on Friday nights from 5-9, with a $10 cover charge that includes 3 high ABV beers. Bring your grounds admission or rodeo ticket from any day of the Stock Show on Friday, Jan 16th, 23rd , 30th and Feb 7th for an extra 16oz beer.
• White Elephant Saloon - Offering cold beer, cocktails, and live Texas music seven nights a week, this classic saloon continues to provide Western hospitality that made “Hell’s Half Acre” famous.
Now, before you run out and get stupid with the giggle juice all over town, you better dress up like the Howdy Queen and King. Here are my picks to git yer Western on:
Money Saving & Rodeo Insider Tips NOT TO BE MISSED!!
2015 Star-Telegram Press Pass Discounts:
Press Pass Holders Receive:
$2 off adult grounds admission every day (regularly $10)
$6 off weekday Matinee Rodeo Performances (regularly $19)
Gold Press Pass Holders Receive:
$10 off ALL $19 Performances (savings of 53%) Limit (4) discounts per valid Pass
All Cardholders: HALF-OFF Wednesday Grounds Admission & Midway Coupons
The Moos-eum Experience:
Fort Worth Museum of Science and History, Cattle Raisers Museum & National Cowgirl Museum and Hall of Fame all have something in common: Receive FREE ADMISSION to these venues with your Stock Show grounds admission ticket. PLUS, members of these museums get FREE ADMISSION to the Stock Show grounds when you present your. All you have to do is present this official Voucher, bring a photo ID and your Valid Membership Card when you come to the Stock Show! Nice perk, huh!
Member at the Modern? Flash your membership card to the parking attendant and park in the museum's lot, for FREE!
And here’s a whole ‘nuther thang. Yawl be doin’ aw’ right when you add the RODEO APP to your smart phone. This unique app is filled with all kinds of bells, whistles, and games too! It's a MUST HAVE! I LOVE IT!
Rodeo Programs: Junior League of Fort Worth sells Rodeo programs for $3. A dollar of that goes to Junior League and back into the community through various projects. Before you go into the Rodeo, stop and get a program from the gals who are yelling "PROGRAM" standing behind the red booths at the entry. They are competing for the honor of “most programs sold”. Programs are good pre-Rodeo entertainment. We ALWAYS buy up more than we need and give the extras to someone who might be on the fence about spending extra money.
Funnel Cake: If you LOVE fresh funnel cakes, be sure to purchase one outside. A “no open grease” city ordinance means the cakes inside are pre-made and are kept under a heat lamp.
Texas Skillet: Trey Chapman, Fort Worth's very own beloved cowboy, told me his favorite place to get a bite of breakfast is at the Texas Skillet. Home of the biggest, most bad-ass Cowboy Burrito. Plus, the prices can't be beat for the quantity of food you'll eat.
Mama's Pizza: It is no secret that I am a HUGE fan of Mama's Pizza, and now that they have moved from the exhibit hall to the Round Up Inn food court, you surly won't miss a delicious slice of heaven.
Do YOU have any insider tips? Email me at [email protected] and it just might be added to this list.
TWO SoFortWorthIt RODEO GIVEAWAYS!!!
(Please read ALL THE WAY to the bottom so you don't miss out on BOTH contests...and leave a comment while your at it!!)
In a nutshell, this is what Fort Worth is all about during this time of the year. Stock Show, Rodeo, good times, good friends and philanthropy...all in a day’s work. Now, don’t let the door hit ‘cha where the good Lord split ‘cha before I share one of the coolest giveaways ever. Jerrett Joslin of The Wild Mushroom Steak House and Lounge and AMSCO Steel are gonna make sure you have the time of your life!
AMSCO Steel takes metal to a whole new level. This family owned & operated steel service center was started in 1952 by John Clayton Sikes, Jr. and is headquartered in Fort Worth and San Antonio. AMSCO caters to commercial & residential construction, roofing, HVAC, sheet metal/job shops, metal stamping, metal enclosures, automotive, oil & gas, shelving, OEM's, signs manufacturers, metal building manufacturers, and many more. Be sure and LIKE their Facebook page.
Once you dine at The Wild Mushroom, I promise you there probably won't be a better experience than this one. Chef Joslin’s award-winning steak and seafood house serves up prime steaks paired with hand-selected seafood from all over the world. Who can’t resist a big juicy steak from one of Fort Worth, Texas Magazine's TOP CHEFS! With 22oz prime rib specials for $38, Chateaubriand for 2, Wild caught Alaskan Salmon, escargot in garlic butter, and award winning Mac & Cheese, you know you’re in for a real treat. Be sure and LIKE them on Facebook for all of the latest and greatest specials.
Around here, the Stock Show is a holiday in Fort Worth. In celebration of busting out my 20X Beaver cowboy hat and wearing it proud, I have teamed up with Jordan Scott of Mama's Pizza to bring you a second FABULOUS giveaway!!! You and 5 of your buddies will have the time of your life at Bull's Night Out and dinner with beer at Mama's Pizza on Wednesday the 21st. Now don't hold your horses for tooo long, cause I'll be drawing the winner THIS Tuesday, January 20th @ NOON!
By: Malcolm Mayhew